Monday 26 September 2011

I'm a Hasher

Running, name calling, and beer. Weird combination but that basically sums up the group I joined on Saturday known as the Hash House Harriers - they're a pretty big deal! There are different chapters of the group, known as HHH, running all over the world. In Kigali, we are the KHHH. 

Anyways, Norah found out about them through a friend and we decided to check it out Saturday afternoon. Wasn't sure exactly what to expect - it was a pretty big group and when I got there, half of them were already drinking beer. But it turned out to be an amazing run! We did a route that was about 9km but in Kigali, 9km feels a lot more like 12 or 13 because of all the hills. Some people have mentioned that the altitude has impacted their running performance but I haven't really felt the effects of being 5000ft above sea level...thankfully. So we ran through all these villages in Kigali - it was unreal! I didn't even know these villages existed. The kids in the towns sometimes run with us for chunks of the route. Other times, they just stare and giggle and say "good morning" - even though it was about 5pm at that point hahaha - so cute. I ran through small uphill alleys and behind little hut-like homes, jumped over little streams, and maneuvered myself up muddy hills.  My running shoes are evidence of my hardcore adventures.... 

 
My running shoes are taking a serious hit out here....

It's funny because before I arrived, everyone at home told me not to run, it wouldn't be safe, to find alternate ways of staying in shape...but here I am, running as much, maybe even more than ever. It's amazing! And it's even cooler when you get to meet people from all the world over via groups like HHH. In November, I am heading out with HHH to hike in the rainforest in Eastern Rwanda. Talk about experience of a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment