Monday 12 September 2011

A Weekend of Art

First and foremost, check these paintings out:


I loved this - it's textured. Reminded me of my brother's art. 

Apparently unmarried women in Rwanda traditionally have this haircut. Rad. 

These paintings were done by one of the landlords we visited on Saturday ...I was house hunting, which has been a tad stressful. We didn't end up taking the house this landlord owns BUT I did find a really great place. It's exactly what we were looking for! We move in Saturday, provided all goes well. It's in Nyamirambo which is the coolest part of Kigali (so far). I'll post pics of it once we're all settled in.

Saturday night featured a stop at a Canadian-Rwandese Music Festival. It was really diverse and all-around fabulous. Great mix of music from both African musicians and Canadian artists like Shad. I don't listen to Shad, nor was I even familiar with him before this festival but he did rap about the GTA during the show, which I was absolutely elated about. Actually, seeing or hearing anything related to Canada (like someone wearing a leafs or sens jersey) gets me all excited - I guess that's normal when you're away from home for so long. 

Shad strutting his stuff

I was also lucky enough to see some more traditional performances - Rwandan dancing and music:


 Traditional Rwandan Dancing

Great music


The Mighty Popo performed too. He is an incredibly talented guitarist. I am very lucky I got to experience Canadian culture interwoven with Rwandan tradition. Definitely a night to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment