Sunday 26 February 2012

My last weekend in Rwanda: Beautiful Butare

Well, I'm back in balmy Canada. Mixed emotions at the moment....

For now, I'm going to reflect back on my last weekend in Rwanda. I went to Butare, which is the second largest city in Rwanda. It's 2 hours south of Kigali and is a city rich in history and culture. Butare is known as the home of the National Museum of Rwanda as well as the National University of Rwanda. Both of which were very beautiful...



 Traditional Hut


 Inside the Hut

 Rwandan Pride

 Beautiful Butare

The museum was rich with Rwandan history, culture, and nature. From geology, to dance, to politics, the museum shared facts about all the different aspects of Rwanda and life in this incredible country. I won't give it all away, you'll just have to visit it for yourself one day...

Our next stop was the University, which is set in a forest. Cool, huh? So you can go to class, and then go sit in a tropical forest and study. It's nice and cool and very quiet. Absolutely lovely. The campus was surprisingly large and bustling with students. It was basically just a tropical version of the University of Toronto at Mississauga. We wandered the campus, chilled out in the cool forest, and chatted with a few students. I felt like I was back in school! 

 NUR - national university of Rwanda

 Yes, Monkeys - ie. study buddies


The campus has monkeys. So instead of the boring squirrels I had at the university of Toronto, the students at NUR get to hang out with monkeys. Only in Africa! On the way back, we caught a beautiful sunset. I will miss African sunsets so very much...


Butare is very different from Kigali and I'm glad I saw it before I left. It was a good way to bid farewell to Rwanda...


No comments:

Post a Comment