Sunday 9 October 2011

At the Top of Kigali

While on a high from adventuring through Akagera Park, a few friends and I decided that we would devote the following day to climbing up Mount Kigali and enjoying the views from the top of the city. 

It was a hot, sunny day so although we were climbing at a slow pace, it was challenging and oh so sweaty! We walked through little villages and when we got to the top, some locals asked to take photos with us. We also found a group of children playing soccer and decided to join in. Of course, being the clumsy fool that I am, 5 minutes into the game I tripped on a rock and tore my arm open. I'm fine now (this was about 2 weeks ago) but I had to deal with a lot of blood, pain and a lovely infection. On the bright side, now I'll have a scar that will always remind me of Rwanda!!! 




Taking it all in...


Green hills everywhere 


As we descended, we could see a storm brewing over the city. While there was lightning and heavy rain a few km ahead (we could hear the rain pounding), it was still sunny on the hill. The weirdest thing, but the weather can vary from just a km away. So because it was sunny on the hill and raining in the city, a rainbow formed. It was lovely. 


Kigali is truly a city of contrast. It ranges from typical urban chaos, to small rural villages, to rugged dirty mountains, to lush green forest. And lucky for me, I got to see it all from the top! 

No comments:

Post a Comment